Dr. Lori de Laplante, C. Psych.
I am a registered psychologist with a practice in clinical, health and rehabilitation psychology. I completed my Bachelor’s degree at Carleton University and my Doctorate degree at the University of Ottawa. I have worked in Edmonton and Ottawa with clients adjusting to the physical and emotional sequelae of illnesses, injuries, traumas and challenging life experiences. I was formerly a part-time Associate at the Centre for Treatment of Sexual Abuse and Childhood Trauma.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- In addition to offering treatment for common psychological problems (e.g., anxiety, depression, stress, relationship difficulties), I provide assessment and treatment to adults (or their caregivers) who have been negatively impacted by physical health issues or emotional issues and traumas.
- Physical health issues include chronic or terminal illnesses and injuries, medical conditions exacerbated by stress, and physical symptoms that doctors are unable to fully explain or treat (e.g., chronic pain, fatigue, gastrointestinal symptoms, or chemical sensitivities).
- Emotional issues and traumas include childhood or adult experiences of abuse or neglect, couple or family-related stressors, work-related stressors (including short or long-term medical leave), challenging life transitions, and loss or bereavement issues.
- I offer a mixture of supportive-expressive, cognitive-behavioural, experiential and psychodynamic therapies. I also draw upon trauma-focused modalities such as EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) and Somatic Experiencing in the treatment of post-traumatic stress. I am particularly interested in the mind-body connection and the impact of past traumas and negative life experiences on physical health.
- In addition to providing psychoeducation regarding mind-body relations in health and illness, I work collaboratively with medical and alternative health care practitioners to provide clients with holistically-oriented care. Consultation is provided to physicians, health care practitioners, insurance adjusters and other professionals on an as-needed basis. I also refer clients to other professionals or resources in the community that may be of benefit to themselves or to members of their family.
- I am registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO) and the Canadian Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology (CRHSPP). I am also a member of the local, provincial and national associations of psychology, the AEDP Institute (Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy) and the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute.
I can be reached at 613-236-7819, or by email at email@example.com